Been a long time since I reviewed anythng, but I’m back to my passion reviewing headsets!
It’s a real treat this time, cause I go my friend’s Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD White On-Ear Headphone from Monster and pitted it against my V-MODA Crossfade LP2 Limited Edition Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone (Matte Black). I’ll be running them through their paces in standard stuff like listening to various types of music and of course, the comfort levels as the Beats are on ear while the Crossfade LP2 are over ear headphones.
I’ll go over the scores in a minute… But here’s a table that I hope everyone can relate to
|Specifications & Features
||Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD||V-MODA Crossfade LP2 Limited Edition|
|Construction||Mostly plastic||Mostly metal|
||Soft neoprene case||Exoskeleton hard case|
|20 Hz – 20 KHz||5 – 30,000 Hz|
|Impedance||Unsure, some have said 45 ohms||32 Ohms|
|Bundled with||Touring case
|Exoskeleton hard case
2 stereo cables (1 with remote & mic)
|Usability Results||Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD||V-MODA Crossfade LP2 Limited Edition|
|Comfort Treshold||30-45 minutes||1 hour 30 minutes|
|Test Results||Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD||V-MODA Crossfade LP2 Limited Edition|
|Bass (without EQ)
(good solid, thumping feel)
(more clarity, depth & follow through)
|Treble (without EQ)||8
(once it gets mixed up with the bass,
(it’s pretty clear,
even through the bass)
|Bass (with EQ)||9
(sounds even more impressive,
but less defined, it’s like a sound
wall of bass hitting the ears)
(definition is maintained, clarity is still
there,but the bass grain is not
as intense as the Beats)
|Trebel (wtih EQ)
(the whole mix sounded a bit on
the high side with EQ, I found that
I didn’t really like the sound as it
was getting slightly tinny.
The Crossfades really respond to EQ
effects, when I used a V shape EQ, it
really drove up the bass and treble
effects, and made the mids sound flat.
|Movies||9.5 – really like the cinematic
experience. I reckon the noise
cancellation is really working
in its favor here.
|8.5 – I’d appreciate a more isolated
experience and notice that I had to
tweak the volume up a bit to keep
up with the Beats Solo HD.
|Gaming||To be added||To be added|
|The VERDICT||8.75 (without gaming scores)||9.25 (without gaming scores)|
- The two headsets are really very closely priced. So it really comes down to which is better at that price. For the money that you’ll be spending here you’d expect a pair of headsets that will literally blow the rest away.
- But for very small price difference, the Crossfade LP2 in my opinion has noticeably better fidelity and you start to hear a lot more nuances in the music that wasn’t delivered very well with Beats Solo HD.
- The bass and treble responses on the Crossfade LP2 are also marginally better and more natural sounding.
- I can agree on using EQ to correct good headsets so that you can enjoy your music better as certain music required certain compensation but adjusting EQs when you listen to a variety of music can get tiresome. Crossfade LP2 sounds naturally great on its own without the need for EQ while the Beats Solo HD can keep up but if you want the extra edge, go for the Crossfade LP2.
- In terms of overall comfort, I wear spectacles, and I have a big head. If you want comfort, the Crossfade LP2 will be again better as they are over-ear headset which will be more comfortable for those long listening sessions. The Beats Solo HD are on-ears so after awhile people who wear glasses will definitely feel the squeeze.
- What came as a nice surprise was that the Beats Solo HD overturned the tables slightly in the movies test because it delivered a more cinematic experience. Perhaps due on-ear design, it really did improve the movie as a whole as its noise isolation did wonders. You really feel ‘sucked in’ with the movie. While researching for this review I read that many reviewers mentioned that the Beats Solo HD were a bit over bright, this really helped it to deliver punching bass and stunning sound effects for movies like Real Steel and Transformers 3.
- I find that that the V-MODA Crossfade LP2 Limited Edition are optimized for music while the Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD performs slightly better for movie lovers
WINNER by A SMALL BUT SIGNIFICANT MARGIN
Let me know what you think, I’ll try to enjoy more types of music later if I can get my friend to lend me her Beats again!